You can generally freedom camp throughout the Waimakariri District on gravelled or sealed Council land set aside for parking. Look out for the prohibited zones at Waikuku Beach.
For information about responsible freedom camping throughout New Zealand, visit the Camping in New Zealand website.
Freedom camper responsibilities
Help protect our beautiful natural environment by:
- removing all rubbish, solid or liquid waste from the camping site when leaving
- disposing of rubbish, recycling and waste at approved sites
- using appropriate toileting facilities
- ensuring that all pets are appropriately controlled
- abiding by all Council bylaws including barbecue use, camp fires, noise and animal control.
- 75 Charles Street, Kaiapoi
- McKeown Waimak Junction CardFuel 24/7
- 21 Hakarau Road, Kaiapoi
- 22 Railway Road, Rangiora
- 90 High Street, Oxford